Africa Finance Corporation (AFC) is a Multilateral Financial Institution, created by Sovereign African states to provide pragmatic solutions to Africa’s infrastructure deficit and challenging operating environment, by developing and financing infrastructure, natural resources and industrial assets for enhanced productivity and economic growth of African states.
Our vision is to become Africa’s leading Infrastructure Solutions provider and our mission is to foster economic growth and industrial development of African countries, while delivering a competitive return on investment to our shareholders.
In view of this, our Investment Division is seeking applications from qualified candidates into the Corporation’s Graduate Internship Program for 2019. The job summary, key accountabilities and requirements are attached.
All Applications/Statement of Interest and Curriculum Vitae (CV) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org the caption “2019 AFC Graduate Summer Internship” to the undersigned on or before Friday, 19th April 2019. Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The candidate will be expected to play key roles in the execution and overall management of AFC’s investment activities across Africa. He/she will be based in Lagos, Nigeria and will work closely with Investments’ Associates, Associate Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents and Directors to deliver strategic planning support, financial analyses, research reports and solutions to prospective and existing clients and transactions. The focus areas are business planning, market research, business performance tracking and reporting, investment approval documentation and investment analysis.
Research and analyze global as well as Africa focused financial and industry data to inform transaction identification and selection across target countries, sectors, companies, commodities and projects, with weekly management reports
Undertake research, detailed analysis and review on prospective clients, companies and infrastructure projects across Africa to identify financial trends and issues to provide a sound basis for investment decisions
Support Cross – Sector (Power, Heavy Industry, Telecoms, Natural Resources and Transport business development efforts by assisting in the updating of the sector’s business plan and strategy document, including providing fresh insights on research and analysis
Manage Administrative duties for Investments Clusters – such as Processing Procurements Requests, Settlement of Invoices, Scheduling of Meetings, Relationship Management Correspondences, Documents Management etc.
Prepare and ensure internal circulation of AFC Sector focused (e.g. Natural Resources, Transport, etc.) Monthly Newsletter covering major industry issues, trends, AFC insights, and recommendations.
Assist with conducting KYC and other due diligence on prospective clients
Assist in preparing transaction support documents (engagement letters, proposals, client presentations, information memorandums, term sheets, valuations, investment committee memos etc.)
Assist with conducting financial analysis on existing investments for active portfolio management, including reporting and recommending interventions
Perform any other financial/non-financial project management related tasks as required
Competency, Skill & Knowledge Requirements
· Highly proficient in the development and interrogation of Microsoft Excel financial models, strong financial analysis capability, and experience in the preparation of Microsoft PowerPoint Presentations for marketing purposes (pitchbooks)
· Strong quantitative analysis and problem-solving skills.
· Well-developed communication and business writing skills, including an ability to interface directly and effectively with senior officers of a variety of potential clients
· Good credit and investment review capacity. Ability to cogently provide insightful analysis for transactions
· Good market knowledge of the investment sector in Africa generally, and the infrastructure segment specifically, with basic knowledge of the key markets, sponsors and competitors
· Strong research skills, with a clear capacity to develop research material using publicly available information, and by leveraging various networks and internal resources available
· Detail oriented with strong organisational skills, good time management skills and ability to work under pressure in a fast-moving environment
· Flexibility and ability to work with limited supervision. A self-starter, able to assume the initiative following basic leads provided by senior colleagues and team members
· Strong team work capabilities, and able to work seamlessly with staff within the Division and across the Corporation.
High level of creativity and capacity to develop innovative ideas or work with other team members of build-up transaction ideas for onward marketing to clients
· A strong first degree in engineering/economics/finance/sciences from a recognised university
· Additional relevant qualifications such an MBA or M.Sc. (could be in view) in a relevant field will be an advantage
· Relevant certifications related to finance
· Minimum of 1 year professional experience preferably in infrastructure related investment banking or financial advisory.
· Previous experience infrastructure investment and/or financial or operations advisory on African projects
· Previous professional experience or training in research, financial analysis and developing pitch books/presentations
Fluency in writing and speaking English is mandatory
French, and/or Spanish and Portuguese would be desirable
Passion for working in Africa and for being a part of providing solutions to Africa’s development related issues and needs
Willingness to live and work in Lagos, Nigeria
Visa processing support available, if necessary.
In country transportation
Timing/Duration: 8 - 12 week period between May and August