Contact: Please reach out to Amine Naji at email@example.com for more information on this role
Location: Casablanca, Morocco
Africa50 is an infrastructure investment platform that contributes to the continent’s growth by developing and investing in bankable projects, catalyzing public sector capital and mobilizing private sector funding, with differentiated financial returns and impact. Because of limited public resources the private sector has a significant role to play in delivering the infrastructure which is necessary to support strong economic and social growth in Africa. This requires a greater focus on project development to generate more bankable projects and to leverage a larger pool of capital to fund them.
As part of the 2012 Declaration on the Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA), Africa Heads of States called for innovative solutions to accelerate the delivery of infrastructure on the African Continent, with a strategic framework for the continent’s transformation over the next 50 years. Agenda 2063 called for the provision of infrastructure to support accelerated integration and growth. In response, the African Development Bank established Africa50, an independent organization, as part of the solution to this challenge.
Africa50 is currently funded by 27 Africa countries, the African Development Bank and 2 African Central Banks. It is organized into two main arms - Africa50 Project Development which contributes to increasing the number of bankable infrastructure projects and Africa50 Project Finance which invests in private sector/PPP projects primarily in the Energy and Transport sectors as a strategic minority equity partner. Africa50 is continuing to mobilize funding from Institutional investors and other African governments who are not already shareholders. It is incorporated in Morocco and enjoys immunities and privileges including tax free status
The Senior Investment Officer role is to provide leadership, management and technical support to ensure the effective development and increased number of bankable projects for Africa50 PD.
• Work across all the infrastructure sectors
• Develop a strong pipeline of project development investment opportunities through anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge
• Execute Africa project development investments with a strong focus on achieving bankable projects
• Have a good understanding and the ability to structure investments across the financing spectrum from senior lending to equity
• Lead negotiation for investment documents (loan, inter-creditor, shareholders, share purchase, put and other agreements)
• Develop a thorough understanding of the power, transport and utilities sectors, including markets, major operators and technologies
• Have a good understanding of project and concession financing, policy issues, license conditions, tariff regimes and privatizations
• Build and maintain strong relationships with local/regional/global infrastructure companies, banking and multilateral partners, suppliers and government officials to further develop the sector, to build consensus around project proposals and develop bankable projects
• Lead and manage project teams, mentor and develop junior staff.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
• Significant relevant work experience: At least 10 years of experience of non-routine financing or development of private or PPP infrastructure projects in challenging environments
• Knowledge of overall infrastructure sector trends; experience in emerging markets especially Africa is a plus
• Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively and identify potential business partners
• Ability to generate senior government officials’ support and to create sufficient trust and confidence between investors and governments while developing bankable project structures
• Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as senior government officials
• Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds; living experience in emerging countries is a plus
• Experience of successfully mentoring and developing junior investment staff.
Academic and professional qualification
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
• MBA, MSc or equivalent qualification.
• Deep understanding of how investments are structured
• Strong understanding of project and concession finance
• Sound knowledge of legal, policy, tax and regulatory matters
• Fluent English (French is a plus)
• Technical understanding of the power, transport and utilities sectors.
• Interest in Africa50’s mission, strategy and values
• Culturally sensitive and able to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
• Strong negotiation skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Able to build and maintain strong relationships at all levels
• Ability to lead, manage, mentor and develop staff
• Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards
• Willingness to travel extensively
• Genuine commitment to sustainable development